Friday, October 15, 2010

Hello, Toast!


I FINALLY got a chance to eat at Toast last night and was I ever tickled pink by everything!

The place is tiny, nestled in a corner of Leslieville and you would totally walk right by it had you not been looking for it (or in my case, had Crazy not spotted Dad through the window--and we were looking for it!).

The fam had been seated by the window on 1/2 chair, 1/2 couch tables. Mom was stuck on the couch with me (despite many offers by Brodder to switch) but I was perfectly content with my seat. Our tables happened to be the marble-top type with wrought-iron bases, but the other tables were just as full of character--little retro/diner tables with original art on them.

As for the decor, I LOVED it! Original art by local artists covered the walls which had been painted a rich red. The cute tables, mismatched chairs and cutlery, taper candles on each table, and toasters everywhere! Go see for yourself. The salt and pepper shakers were adorable--each table had their own unique set. Ours had been 2 spuds, french fries and ketchup, and 2 bears. Tables near by had a crate of oranges, a set of coffee cups, cheese graters...they were so cute. But, the pièce de résistance for me, was the ceiling.

The ceiling (which I could not stop peering up at all night) was painted a plain, solid black, but was dotted everywhere with...ready?...golden toast! Yup, they don't show it in the pictures, unfortunately, but someone took the time (and many slices of toast, I'm sure) to dip toast into gold paint and carefully stamp the slice onto the ceiling. I. Loved. It.

Food choices are limited but popular--the calamari and something else were sold out by the time we got there. We order mussels, samosas (not something to share, trust me), and the foie gras poutine. Each time the server came to take the plates, he found me desperately trying to scoop up the last dregs of remains...the sauces were delish. For entrees, Dad and Crazy each got the special of "white veal with roasted pears, mashed potatoes, and root vegetables," I got the baked Atlantic Salmon with dragonfruit salsa, wild rice and veggies, and Mom and Brodder both got pastas--penne with either pork tenderloin in a dijon cream sauce, or chicken (and mushrooms?) in another cream sauce.

Y.U.M.

I was fed a piece of the veal--SOOOOOOO tender and delicious! The pasta was a little al dente, but not too much so. My salmon was soft and juicy, but I wish there'd been more salsa! Or butter. Mmmmmm...butter.

We were too full for dessert afterward ("I have 2 slices of carrot cake left, 2 chocolate brownies, and an apple tart") and Mom didn't want to be wired by any caffeine, so our toasted experience ended there. Well, it ended after the boys bickered over the bill so much (Crazy won) that the server was sure we were going to go out into the street and brawl.

It'd been over a year since I first heard of and wanted to go to Toast, and now I have and I'd be HAPPY to go back. Even if it was just to stare at the ceiling. :) Well, to stare at the ceiling while trying their Cranberry Cream Cheese French Toast.

Salut!

No comments: