Thursday, July 10, 2008

London in non-photo photos

So much of London (and really, there's SO much here) cannot be summed up in words (there's just too much detail to describe) nor pictures (because they won't let you take pictures of the best stuff). However, if there's one thing I've realized about London and the history of London, it's that they revel in their bloody history. :) I did my best to take pictures of all that I was allowed, but the really awe-inspiring things were off-limits; hence, these are my non-photo photos.

Every tour I've been on has given me the stories of not just the spectacles of the sites, but of the spectres of the sites as well. Beheadings, executions, burnings and burials have been the backbone of the tour materials. I've been in more crypts than I can count, and seen more monuments to the dead than I can believe. I mean, I guess it's cool that London's made peace with their dead, but man have I ever gotten the creeps lately!

Effigies of a sort...I can't remember if they were killed or just passed on, but either way, they're no longer of the living.

Yup, someone's under there...literally right under your feet.

This picture was creepier when there was a lady sitting on the bench having lunch, with her feet practically resting on the effigy/grave below.

And then of course there's their pride in methods of torture...

The "Scavenger's Daughter" in which, well, I think you can figure it out. Not a comfy position.

Also the "Scavenger's Daughter" but this time the unlucky victim kneels down, bends over, and gets pinned down in that crouch.

And of course the one that needs no explanation, "The Rack." Ouch.


But because London's fond of their dead, they pay their respects properly, by building the right kind of venues.

Westminster Abbey








St. Paul's Cathedral








Like Japan, I went a little trigger happy with the camera (well as much as I could). There's still more, both to share and for me to see, but I felt like I was leaving you all hanging...like a true Londoner. hahaha...*groan*
...

subway = Tube/Underground
take-out = take-away
gas = petrol

(there are more, but I can't think of them right now)

The only two words you need to carry on a long-lasting conversation with a Londoner:
Yeah? Roight (not a typo)

Miss y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone barked "take away, yeah?!" at me today. I wanted to eat in, but she wouldn't let me.