Tuesday, July 01, 2008

After the break

They haven't spoken to each other in weeks. Not in the personal sense, anyway. They go about their daily routines, exchanging words only when necessary. "I closed the bank account," "the locksmith will be in on Tuesday," but not even formalities pass between them--no thank yous, greetings, goodbyes, excuse mes. It's a matter of opinion, and neither can see any fault in themselves, so their stubborn silence will only continue.
...

    "I bought a new clock for us."
    "You bought a new clock for you."
    "No, it's for the bathroom upstairs."
    "That's fine, but it's your clock. There is no us anymore."

...

I dated someone once who, for the first three months of our relationship, I was convinced was ready to break-up with me any day because he would never let me leave anything behind after visiting him at his place. He would check thoroughly to be sure I had all of my belongings: purse, keys, wallet, hair ties, jacket, everything. There was one time that I made it halfway out the door when I realized that I'd left a book, and said so. Off like a shot, he ran off to collect it and hand it to me, despite my insistence that I would just get it the next time I came by. It took a long time before he began to let me feel at home. In the end, it was he who was left behind.

No comments: