Friday, January 04, 2008

Adam the AirConditioning Guy

How to pare the story of Adam the Air Conditioning Guy down?

I first started working here as the receptionist, last summer. Adam the ACG would come in for me to sign work papers and stuff, and we'd talk a bit, flirt a bit. He was in the building (though not our office) for a few weeks. Everytime he'd pass by the office door, I might look up, and he might smile. During one of his visits, the lines were: "I should take you out for lunch some time." "You should." and then nothing. Summer was over, I was gone.

Over the time I've been back at the office, it's usually been another guy doing the maintenance and stuff and I've never really thought much of it. And then the last few days, it's been Adam again. Today, I had to go just out of the office to check out our door plaque so I could order another one, and he was out in the lobby, banging at something loudly with a hammer. At first, I ignored him because I didn't realize it was him, but when I turned back to go into the office, he looked up. When I recognized him, I was my usual saucy-self and just put a finger to my lips and told him to "shush", though admittedly fairly coyly.

"Hey."
"Hey. Happy New Year."
"Happy New Year to you too."

And with that I smiled and disappeared into the office. I swooned a little for the girls. Next thing I knew, K-Mart was hopping up and down in my office.

"HE'S HERE!!! He's ASKING for YOU!!!"

Next, Lutka arrived, and I found myself being literally dragged to my feet and shoved down the halls to meet him at the front reception area. He asked if I had a moment, I said I did, and we spoke outside.

"I was thinking I should take you up on your lunch offer."
"Really? Okay."

And so he took my number. I told him I was busy today, and this weekend, so he might call me next week.

BAH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

boo-ya-ka-shah.

however, you actually have to hear me say it, to get the full effect. two years in that program and this is what i get out of it - a retarded way to enunciate an already retarded word. :)

- dimps.

ehbaba said...

SMOOOOOOTH!

lub the way you walked away

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your "dateishtypething". Oh, and by the by, I broke up with my fiance; I think I can handle putting oatmeal in a bowl.

Thanks,
Namaste,
G