Friday, June 22, 2007

Just getting darker and darker

So I spent last post ranting and raving about how there's not enough time in the week for my balancing act of work, club, play, and what happens today? I'm told I have to meet an insanely near-impossible deadline for Monday, and I've got NO WHERE to pencil in the extra hours. Eff. Sometimes I think my boss' PMS can be worse than mine--and he's a guy.

Anyhoo...the street light across from my window just went out the other night and I have since been enjoying a natural sort of darkness that I can't get enough of. It happens about every three years or so, and I look forward to it everytime. Without the artificial light to flood the street below, I can venture opening my blinds at night and catching a glimpse of what an un-light-polluted sky might look like; if it weren't so cloudy out, I'd actually be able to see stars.

While I know myself to be a city girl through and through (though the occasional adventure in the outback is more than okay by me), I love the night sky and know that I just don't get enough constellation sightings living in the urban sphere. My most favourite home star-gazing happened on the night of the big Blackout four (?) years ago when there wasn't a light in the land, but all of the stars in the sky. It was beautiful. It doesn't happen often, but I do relish it when it does, just as I'm relishing it tonight.

On a small side-bar, I'd like to mention that I know the sleeplessness is getting to me because (though I've edited it since) while reading through my last night's post, I apostrophized the word "reason" in order to make it plural: "reason's." I, of all people abhor the misuse of simple apostrophes in writing SO much--I was appalled to have discovered that I made that sort of slip myself on my own page. I was so embarrassed. Ugh.

On the same side-bar, I was trying to type the word "street" just a few paragraphs up and knew my fingers were going to have trouble (my nails are a little too long for accurate keyboarding) so I concentrated really hard on getting the word out without any spelling errors. So out comes the word with perfect spelling--only it's the wrong word--I went and watched myself type "stress" instead of "street." Freudian slip? Perhaps.

And now, believe it or not...sleep. I am going to sleep. I've got full day of losing my head tomorrow, before (yay!) leaving to watch the Canadian Men's Volleyball team again take on Brazil this time in Mississauga! I'll DEFINITELY find energy for THAT!

1 comment:

ehbaba said...

Your boss bugs me too...and I don't even work for him.