Friday, October 08, 2004

Happy Gobble-Gobble!

It's October 8th and it's twenty-freakin'-nine degrees out. Go figure.

Not a comment from today, but in general...you know when a place has become important to you when you can drive home from that place on auto-pilot the whole way. I mean like, it's a no-brainer drive; you could space out and try to quantum the physics of quantum physics and you'd still get home in one piece because your body has memorized when to turn, where to turn, when to stop, and how long to stop. It's not like I try to make it a habit of trying to drive home with my eyes closed once in a while to test the significance of a specific location or anything, but it's something that I've noticed over my years of driving.

So anyway, this weekend's Thanksgiving weekend. Here's a question: what are we as Canadian's thankful for on this holiday? Apparently it's just food. Turkey, pumpkin, yams, corn, and squash. I mean, take a glance at what you know about American culture. Kids in elementary school in the USA are busy at their Thanksgiving time making dioramas of when the Indians had dinner with the Pilgrims. But then look back to your own Canadian days in elementary school. All I remember doing around this time was cutting out the different coloured feathers to stick onto the turkey's tail at the front of the class. They were thankful for people and nations and cultures coming together. We are thankful for Butterballs. Will someone please prove me wrong and please enlighten me as to what we Canadians are specifically supposed to be thankful for this weekend? I mean, I'm not saying I'm not happy to be eating turkey--my mom's gravy's the best around--but I just want to know the deeper meaning of it all. (I can't help it, I'm an English student trained to overanalyze the little things.)

No comments: