Thursday, November 01, 2012

A dark and stormy night

Hurricane Sandy was to make her full-force debut and performance on Monday night.  Unfortunately, that was also the night I had made reservations for Señorita, Malcolm and I to join a tour of the Haunted Streets of Downtown Toronto.  Even more unfortunately, that was the night Malcolm forgot to bring his rain shoes to work ("I have a change of warm clothes, my rain coat, my rain pants, an umbrella - everything except my shoes!").  :(  What with Sandy lurking about, we decided it was not a day to take chances with your gear.  And so, it was up to Señorita and I to press on alone, and that's exactly what we did.

Blustery as she was, Sandy had no bite.  Being on a budget as we were, Señorita and I hoofed it from work to dinner and from dinner to tour.  Not even halfway to each destination, we were already shedding gloves and scarves and hoods.

   "Is that all you've got, Sandy?!"

Of course, every once in a while, we'd get caught off guard by a gust of wind or by a random spray of rain, and our taunts would change.

   "What ya gotta be such a bitch for, Sandy?!"

However, despite Sandy's (dismal) efforts, Señorita and I arrived at the tour site, convulsed in giggles as we cursed the weak randomness of the Frankenstorm.  We made it through our tour of the Ghosts of UofT (route changed to accommodate the weather for fear of flying debris) warmly enough, except for during the parts we were chilled to the bone by the tour's stories.  The rain even held off right until the last 10 minutes of the tour.  We had a great time, with the weather only adding to the effect and making our warm drinks at the end even more satisfying.

Despite all the calls and emails and texts from our parents (and there were a lot of them) scolding us for being outside at all and horribly worried about how we'd get home, we had a great time even with Sandy.
...

On the train home, Señorita and I learned that both our parents experienced a power outage for some time that night, so when I arrived home to a lit house, I was a little relieved. However, moments after arriving home, Malcolm scurried down the stairs to greet me while wearing a headlamp. I asked the obvious question.
   "Oh, honey, did the power go out on you?"
   "Nope, but I'm prepared!"

No comments: