Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Taxing on the nerves

Oooooh a rant!

In writing a piece at work, I had one proofreader correct me to say "A & B" in my document.  The next proofreader then asked me to change it to "B & A" in my document.  A third hadn't noticed either way.  After a quick google search, I found it was customary to go with "B & A," but asked the first proofreader if she knew explicitly which way was the correct according to company standards. 

She could not give me a yes or no answer.  She danced around the question through IMs and emails and phone calls.  In the meanwhile, I phoned the third proofreader and together we decided to go with what was generally accepted as customary.  But when the first reader found out what I'd taken the initiative to do, I got shit on it regardless of my sources or reasons.  She basically patted herself on the back for "doing the legwork" to decide that her way was right and that the rest of us were wrong.  All I wanted was for her to tell me to either cite her source, or give evidence either way and she took hours to do so and then sulked when my research contradicted hers, but in the end I was forced to concede because her role as the proofreader trumped mine as the writer.   

This sounds like nothing, but it totally grated on my nerves today.  Shredded them.  And now I'm ranting. 

Tax sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

screw that logic

right should trump wrong!

- ehbaba