Friday, September 21, 2012

Nerbs

At work last Friday and again this Friday, we got to discussing great nouns that have evolved (some officially, some unofficially) into verbs.  There were some good ones.  I've noticed that all of the ones off the top of my head evolved not just from nouns, but from proper nouns. Perhaps that indicates that if you do something and you do something well, "maybe they'll create a nerb after you."  I think that beats a building. 

The best:

to google: to perform a search [using a search engine] for something on the internet
e.g.  I'll have to go home and google what a nerb is later when I get to my computer.

to tetris: to manipulate objects in a tight space, ensuring maximum efficiency of space usage
e.g.  Man, we tetrised that stuff into the trunk really well - I can't believe it all fit!

to macgyver: to create an extremely useful object under pressure, using only the materials on hand at any given moment
e.g.  I couldn't find a spoon, so I macgyvered one out of this cup and fork.

to frankenstein: to create one whole object out of the best parts of other different, yet similar objects
e.g. I finished writing the communication faster by frankensteining it out of previous memos.

to multimedia: to bombard another person [their inbox, or your chat window] with link after link of videos, songs, or other mediums of entertainment.
e.g.  Heartbreak? Don't worry, I'll multimedia you back to life.
...

Update - September 28, 2012, 2:55pm
My supervisor was giving me advice on how the final draught of my document was probably going to look like after submitting it for review.

     "They'll probably look at the different versions, frankenstein some from each, and then tetris it all together."

Love it.  She's probably secretly been reading my blog.  :)

No comments: