Saturday, December 24, 2011

Bugger

Travelling South East Asia, there was a lot of worry about medications and illness. One of the main concerns was regarding Malaria.  I was really on the fence about taking anti-Malaria pills before and while I was away.  I'd heard horror stories of the side-effects and the price alone served as a fair deterrent itself.  In the end, I decided against it and told myself I'd just be very wary of mosquitoes.

Arriving in Malaysia, my guard was heightened even more by reports of Dengue fever occurring not even just  close to home, but at home.  I became a ninja assassin just to be able to calm my own fears of getting bitten and falling sick to something those insects were carrying.  As our trip carried on, it seemed as though my vigilance was having a positive effect.  Bites were few or non-existent.  I was in perfect health, even while Malcolm came down with a mild fever in transit between cities.  My well-being stayed strong all the way through to our last country - Cambodia.

And then.


Cycling home after dusk from the Angkor Wat temple complex, we could feel the bugs out in full force.  I'd sprayed myself with repellent already and as long as we kept up the pace, the bugs had a better chance of ricocheting off our moving bodies than actually landing a bite.  In fact, we were riding along fast enough that the comment was made that we should exercise a different sort of diligence:

     "Make sure you keep your mouth closed - you don't want to swallow a bug!"

Point taken - I kept my mouth closed...so of course a damned mosquito few up my nostril.

Horrified, I snorted that thing out so fast I'm sure I blew its wings off.  Keeping control of my bike with one hand, I dug out any possible remains with the other.  For the rest of the night, my sinuses took extra precautionary measures and my nose started to run and wouldn't stop (not that I blamed my sinuses - it'd be a total violation of their sanctity and I would have done the same) for fear of anything else getting up there a second time.  But the next morning, my sinuses had reacted so strongly that my nose was still clogged (with snot) and my throat was achingly sore.

All day I was a poster child for congestion, toting a pack of Kleenex through the temples with me, every pocket full of used tissues, pausing every few steps to blow my nose honkingly loud.

The next day my nose had stopped leaking, but now my snot was so thick I clogged my ears each time I attempted to blow it out.  "Excuse me" was insufficient as an apology to anyone who had to hear my brains come out through my nostrils.

It wasn't until the whirlwind part of our trip was over that my nose cleared up and my ears became unblocked and I could breathe again like a functional human being.  And all that time I'd been protecting myself against the danger of mosquito bites.

No comments: