Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes we can

History was made today. History is made everyday. But tonight, I rushed home to watch it happen.

Graciously, courageously, assertively, and inspiring, a new face was chosen to fill a role 200 years-old.

This is the first time I paid attention.


...

I went to see The Sound of Music tonight; the same night as the US Presidential Election. My reading aloud of the updates I was receiving via BlackBerry during the breaks were just as crowd-capturing as the show itself. Strangers clamoured not just to get to the lobby, but to find a spot admist the masses from which they could hear me better.

    "Who's ahead?"

    "Which state did you say?"

    "Was that 206 or 209?"

    "How many do they need?"

It was the closest I'd ever come to realizing my far-fetched dream of being a newscaster. It was so neat to see not only that text could cause such a stir, but that so many were caught up in the same current, not just riding the wave, but cheering it on all the way to shore.

I was in such a positive mood that I accidentally told someone the Leafs won when really, they'd only tied. Whoops. Not that it made a difference...tonight wasn't about the Leafs or even about the theatre; it was about some thing bigger. It was about the future. It was about hope. It was about change.

1 comment:

ehbaba said...

Not to say the Jays winning the 1993 World Series was as important as the election yesterday...but I have a similar story. I was picking someone up at the airport, sad that I wasn't watching the game. A stranger thought to bring a radio and was graciously giving the other bystanders a play-by-play. The crowd went crazy when he told us Carter hit the game-winning homerun. Then we just looked at each other and went back to being bored haha.