Monday, September 26, 2005

Gertrude's F--king Dog

The following is an excerpt from "A Transatlantic Interview" with Gertrude Stein.
The following readings were chosen at random from Tender Buttons and are followed by Gertrude Stein's verbatim responses.

A DOG

A little monkey goes like a donkey that means to say that means to say that more sighs last goes. Leave with it. A little monkey goes like a donkey.


"A little monkey goes like a donkey..." That was an effort to illustrate the movement of a donkey going up a hill, you can see it plainly. "A little monkey goes like a donkey." An effort to make the movement of the donkey, and so the picture hangs complete.
Boo's comment on Gertrude Stein's poetry being nightmarish for all those who read it is a true one. Just look at what she had to say about her OWN poem. And just think that was her explanation to help us understand what she was writing about! Anyway, that brings me to my Quote of the Moment by my prof today after reading that above excerpt:

"Pardon my French, but this would seem to be a perfect example of someone fucking with you."

MAN I love my class!

No comments: