Friday, August 19, 2011

If you say so

Listening to Classic Rock on the radio at work, I realize that a lot of songs, I don't actually know the words to--which is not a big deal or anything (since I don't tend to sing along at work). However, I realize that what I've always thought the words were are very off and ridiculous. I've only got three examples right now, but I thought I'd share them and add more when I figure them out. Please keep in mind that I've never known the NAMES of these songs so when I heard them, I had no idea what they were about.

Blue Rodeo - "Bulletproof"
What I heard:
"...I'm not gonna lie about it, I'm not pulling through..."

Actual lyrics:
"...I'm not gonna lie about it, I'm not bulletproof..."

Not bad--pretty close, right? And pretty much along the same lines of thought.

Manfred Mann - "Blinded by the Light"
What I heard:
"...Blinded by the light, ripped up like a douche and I'm running in the night..."

Actual lyrics:
"...Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce; another runner in the night..."

Okay, so I was like "what??" when I first heard the lyrics, yet no matter how hard I listened, I could not hear anything else. However, now, upon googling the correct lyrics, I have discovered that I am not the only one to hear what I heard--though the most common mis-hearing is apparently "wrapped up like a douche." I am not alone.

The Clash - "Rock the Casbah"
What I heard:
"...F*ck the Caspah, f*ck the Caspah..."

Actual lyrics:
"...Rock the Casbah, Rock the Casbah..."

No, I don't know what a "caspah" would have been...a bad pronunciation of Casper? And how the heck did I convince myself that they would let anyone use the F word on the radio so casually? I was perplexed that anyone WOULD allow that. :)

I will add more as they come up (I can never remember them all).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actual lyrics:
"...and girl I..."

What I enjoy hearing:
"...enGERla..."

-ehbaba

melody said...

How could I have forgotten that one? That's ALL I hear now when I hear that song! hahaha. I remember I was driving and crying the first time I was told those "lyrics"--I was laughing so hard...