Friday, June 12, 2009

Gripping suspense

The continuation of the DeathGrip post was to carry on the family lineage. While my mother inherently has the DeathGrip, I do not.

You know how sometimes when you're rock-climbing and all you need to do to reach the next hand/leg hold is to grip the one hold really tightly and reach? Yeah--no grippage means no reach means thank goodness for safety ropes (my belayer!).

Or, you know when you're a kid playing tug-of-war and you have to hold onto the rope nice and tight to help your team pull and win? Yeah, no pull-age from me. Not because I'm not strong, but because I can't hold on to the dang rope.

Or, you know those stupid games where you're both supposed to squeeze each other's hands as hard as you can until one of you calls 'uncle'? Yeah, I never won.

Chin-ups? Nope.

While I can manage a firm enough handshake, I generally incur teasing from my peers whenever the topic of "how strong is your grip?" ever arises. Yeah, I'm a little ashamed...it's weak.

So apparently the DeathGrip was one trait I didn't inherit from my mother.

Or so I thought.

I was in bed the other night, sleeping, but apparently scratching my skin really badly. It was loud and vigorous enough for me to be nudged a few times to be encouraged to stop.

    "Honey, *nudge* honey stop scratching."

And with that nudging, I did stop...only to turn semi-consciously snatch at the wrist that was nudging me, catch it, and squeeze.

Yes, it is true. I applied the DeathGrip in my sleep.

While it was never my intention to inflict pain, while I apologized profusely, while I felt bad for my semi-conscious act of violence, I have to say I was a little proud. So the lesson: don't mess with me (in my sleep) if you don't want to feel the wrath of the GRIP*.
...

Not to be confused with the Grippe. Just to be sure. ;)

No comments: