Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Come shine

Brunch had been outside in the shade of the gazebo, their toes wandering under the table to find the pools of sunlight warming spots on the patio stones, brushing often as they did. They had brought the dishes in together; he carried their mugs while she cleared the plates. Once inside, they worked together to restore the kitchen to its original state--accompanied by a playlist of classics by Louis, Bing, Ella, Billie, and Ms. Garland, their task hardly seemed a chore at all.

    "These songs make me wish I could tap-dance."
    "Really?"
    "Absolutely! They're so upbeat and...tappy."

He laughed as she handed him another plate to wash.

    "If I had time, I totally would learn again."
    "I'm sure you'd be great."
    "I bet I would be. I'm sure I asked you before--do you think you have two left feet, or do you dance?"
    "I can handle my own on the dance floor."
    "Oh really?"
    "Oh, for sure!"

Sending soap suds through the air, he proceeded to turn from the sink to do a sort of wriggling dance on the spot with frantic arm motions and a serious look of focused intent, causing her to burst into giggles. He smiled. He stopped just as the song turned to a softer, slower one.

    "Obviously dancing runs through your veins."
    "Oh, absolutely."

He turned back to finish the few dishes left while she put away the rest of the food and wiped down the counters. Lazy weekends were quickly becoming a favourite of theirs when spent together. A change from their hectic week and business alter-egos, it was a time that they got to relax and let loose, just being their goofy, unprofessional selves in the presence of the other without worrying about anyone else watching.

Caught off guard in a daydream, she found herself being swept into his arms; he hadn't dried his hands and she could feel them leaving warm imprints on the back of her shirt as he held her close. She didn't mind. He gently swayed her to the sultry sound of Ella Fitzgerald.

    "Does this answer your question?"
    "Yes."

They danced in the sunlight streaming in through the kitchen windows, her head on his shoulder and his embrace ever enveloping. At the end of the song, he dipped her, and though he never let go of her, she felt herself falling a little more.
...

I'm gonna love you,
Like nobody's loved you
Come rain or come shine
High as a mountain, deep as a river
Come rain or come shine

I guess when you met me
It was just one of those things
But don't you ever bet me
'Cause I'm gonna be true if you let me

You're gonna love me,
Like nobody's loved me
Come rain or come shine
We'll be happy together, unhappy together
Now won't that be just fine

The days may be cloudy or sunny
We're in or out of the money
But I'm with you always
I'm with you rain or shine

    --"Come Rain or Come Shine" - Billie Holiday

No comments: