Sunday, March 12, 2006

Cheers


Listening:
Damien Rice - O
"Cheers Darlin'

...

How far do you go when chasing your dream? Do you risk the stability you have now for a long shot that may take forever until fully realized? Or do you play it safe and stick to what you know, letting that tiny window of opportunity slip away?

I was shopping the other day at IKEA when I spotted an old acquaintance of mine from afar. While I was there shopping, he was there working. Wearing IKEA's trademarked blue and yellow and the polite at-work smile, he was working the cash about ten aisles down from me. I didn't know whether to to pity him or to admire him.

Although he had ended up there sliding the scancodes of Swedish "simple" furniture, it was what came before that made me pause. When I'd first met him, he'd been a successful employee of the big-name tech-company that he worked for, he drove his own car, wore his own clothes...and he was on the brink of resigning from that life. Instead of this reliable routine, he wanted more. Motivated by his colleagues and teachers and mentors and friends, he was risking what he knew for what intrigued him: a slice of the celebrity pie; a shot at the production side of showbiz.

So what to think? Shoot him down for being stupid for falling for the sparkle of the stars? Or praise him for taking that shot in the dark and satisfying that spark of intrigue? Whether or not he achieved his dream, the point is that he dreamt. How many of us are brave enough to say that we don't know because we tried but failed at something, rather than because we just don't know? I know I'm not. But perhaps I will be. Cheers.

No comments: