Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Back food

Okra was only introduced to my palate in perhaps the last 4 years of my life.  Malcolm ordered it from his favourite Malaysian restaurant and I've loved it since.  Loved it enough to attempt to reproduce the various recipes at home.

But that wasn't technically my first run-in with okra.  I of course knew that the vegetable existed, but learned more than I wanted to about it a long tie ago - back when I still worked at the restaurant, serving my way through university.

I can't for the life of me remember why the topic came up - favourite food discussion, perhaps - but it did and my male co-worker proceeded to go on and rave about just how much he loved it.

   "...and not only is it healthy for you as a vegetable, it's good back food."
   "Back food?"
   "Yeah, you know, back food - it's good for helping you to put your back into it."

...and with the thrusting motions that followed, I knew more about okra - and his personal regime - than I cared to.

But it still is really good.

No comments: